Monday, March 31, 2008




MORE DEEP THOUGHTS FROM THE PUZZLE TABLE

I'm not crafty.

I don't cook.

But my hands like to stay busy. So I clean, compulsively, and when I am trying to be all deep and Zen-like, I do jigsaw puzzles
while listening to the words of great music. It's my thing. If I want both my ears to fully open, my hands must be fully occupied, I've learned.

And while I work the pieces I always have a drink going, coffee in the morning, Pellegrino during the day, a Corona with lime at Beer O'Clock. And sometimes my drink just accidently sits on a piece and the glass sweats, or spills, and the piece becomes affected. It swells. It becomes waterlogged. It won't fit into the puzzle anymore. All the attention from the moisture goes to its head and it becomes so egoic it can't exist amongst the regular pieces, the "little guys."

One over-sized piece spoils the puzzle. It loses its balance. It loses its sense of proportion, of equality, of perspective.

Diversity is great, love it, but all things being equal? It's nice when things fit together. Don't you think? The force-fit? Over. Rated.

8 comments:

Kathi said...

I love Beer O'Clock! I have one of those when I'm lucky.

Carrie, I do not underestimate the power of the jigsaw for stilling the mind. I have used jigsaw therapy many times.

Love it. Do you have one of those jigsaw rolls where you can put it away without bothering the pieces? A must have in my house!

Jenny said...

Carrie, you have the most intriguing blog. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I like when things fit together, neatly. That doesn't mean I don't try to force it sometimes. It just means I need to learn to sit back and be more gentle. Sort of be the puzzle piece, ha, ha. Never gonna happen, but I do try.
XOXO

Deb Shucka said...

Wonderful metaphor. I'm picturing some waterclogged puzzle pieces right now - messin' up the whole thing. I'm picturing you, in your wisdom, working around them. Love!

Michelle O'Neil said...

I think I'm your jig-saw opposite. Hate them. Never met one I liked. Jig-saws get me all frazzled, rather than calm me down.

Love the swelled egoic pieces analogy though.

And the Corona.

contemporary themes said...

I've never been a puzzle person. I don't have the patience for it. But I love the wisdom you glean from your jigsaw experiences.

Love you.

Drama Mama said...

Love this.

I've spent half my life jamming pieces together.

Now I just enjoy the Beer O'clock.

xo

kario said...

Isn't it amazing how so many of the pieces look like they might fit in the same place? It isn't until you actually try them or get them really close that you realize they aren't quite right.

Love you!