Sunday, March 02, 2008

For my "sisters," Julie, Emily and Rachel.

I love you.




A TRIBUTE TO STANLEY CHARLES URBIGKEIT
5/26/36 - 3/2/88


He was from Ed and Ella, Ardie, Ollie and Eldon
Portland, Salem, and NYU.
He was from, "Off the leather!" and "Voice control, girls,"
Green BMWs and imports from Germany.

He was from deals and bargains and Andy and Bax,
Mimi, Julie, Emily and Rachel and weddings not attended.
He was from hand over head to wipe stress far away,
Wrinkled eyes and worried words and care from deep inside.

He was from family and friends and clients and partners,
Tennis, canoe rides and Krustez pancakes along lazy rivers.
He was from Baptists and guilt and, "Look at the Tetons!"
Reunions and togetherness, and "Have you called your dad?"

He was from pearls for all the ladies, Pendleton too,
Washing cars, getting straight A's and hundred dollar rewards.
He was from loyalty, kindness, and sweet concern,
He was from devotion, hard work, and love.

He was from, "Go, Ducks!" and Blazer games and the weight of the world,
The youngest and oldest all wrapped into one.
He was from no time to himself, give me your worries and I'll make them mine,
Come to my funeral, standing room only.

(Julie and me around 1984? -don't know how to get this thing to rotate, so get on your side to look.)

Some of his official and unofficial grandchildren he never got to meet:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute Carrie.
Love.

Ask Me Anything said...

this is an absolutely beautiful tribute to him.

contemporary themes said...

Yes. This is a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Love.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Beutiful Carrie. What a gift you had in him and what a gift you've given.

Love.

Nancy said...

"The youngest and oldest all wrapped into one.
He was from no time to himself, give me your worries and I'll make them mine,
Come to my funeral, standing room only."

Beautiful words. Beautiful man.

Kim said...

Ditto everyone. Beautiful.