Saturday, January 26, 2008



TOP 10 THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT LIFE FROM JIGSAW PUZZLES

10. It's easier when you get the edges done first. Boundaries are important.

9. You can force a piece to fit, but it just messes everything up.

8. The more you study the pieces, the more they work for you, and not against you.

7. It's easier to do the same puzzle a second time. By the third time you're smokin!

6. Fully-interlocking is best. Interconnectedness rocks.

5. It sucks to have someone work on it for you. Some things you've just got to figure out in your own good time.

4. There is such a sense of completion when you're done. Deep satisfaction for a job well done.

3. Usually the piece you keep looking for is right in front of you. That, or you're sitting on it.

2. When you're done, you're done. Then you tear it all apart and put it away. But until you're really done, you've got work to do.

1. The more colors and complexity the more interesting.



* Photo from www.toymaker.com

13 comments:

contemporary themes said...

I actually hate doing puzzles. Is that why I don't enjoy living very much, either??? Hmmmmm. I'm actually very tired of trying to fit the pieces together. Maybe some of the pieces I need are missing??? Or, I've got the wrong puzzle. Somethin' ain't right.

Great insight from you, though. You have such wisdom!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes your blogs are puzzles that I just don't seem able to comprehend and yet I am rather addicted to them. Like puzzles, I return to them often and realize that there was something there all along that I seemed to have missed the first time. Sometimes I just need time away from it in order for it to make sense to me later. Usually a couple cups, no mugs really, of espresso help as well. Carrie sometimes I feel like I am just misssing the peace.
As usually I really enjoy your top ten.

My Own Woman said...

I loved your top ten. What a great way to look at life!

Suzy said...

There are also puzzles that others hold the "missing pieces" to....

Those puzzles can be a little trickier...

Love you

Suzy

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Suzy's right.
I think that there are a few people out there holding on to my puzzle pieces--I'm tracking them down, though.
I know that you had one stashed up your sleeve.
Thanks so much for giving it back. It got me moving again!

Love you.

Wanda said...

When I was growing up, our family would get a new jigsaw puzzle for Christmas every year. For the next 48 hours...or however long it took...we all rotated around the table, moving in and out between snacks and TV watching like bees in a hive.

Sometimes that one piece I was looking for was in someone's pocket--hidden so they could place the last piece. Kind of like having the last word.

Amber said...

This is BRILLIANT.

I am printing it out.

;)

Deb Shucka said...

Great post! I would add something about messing in other people's puzzles can create some serious tension.

I love how you make me laugh and think all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Your top ten lists are THE BEST. Personally, I hate puzzles, they drive me crazy. I can do the outside, across the room, after a very short amount of time. Sigh.good at the boundry, which is so ironic. As for the rest of the puzzle, I would rather throw it across the room. I am the one trying to cram the piece where it does not fit.

You blow me away with your insight, and writing Carrie. It just keeps getting better and better. Amazing.
XOXOXO

Michelle O'Neil said...

I like # 5.

I want to work on my own damn puzzle.

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Yes, I go for complexity every time. Gets me in all sorts of trouble - but hey, who said life was going to be perfect?

Kathi said...

Okay, Carrie, this is nothing short of brilliant! Very, very insightful. Is this why I find jigsaw puzzles so satisfying??!

kario said...

You rock. 'Nuff said.