Saturday, January 09, 2010

I HAVE A VOICE

I facilitate a support group for moms of kids with special needs, we call each other the Amazing Graces and we are both amazing and full of grace, if I do say so myself. If you a a parent of a special needs child, I urge you to find or form a group. It's a life line, it's a place to be heard by people that get it, it's a place to rejoice in each other's triumphs and cry together through the struggles, and it's an incredible resource.

Yesterday we invited a mother and her 28-year-old daughter with Down Syndrome to come and talk to us. It was such a shot-in-the-arm, I cannot even tell you. For those of us wondering/worrying/preparing for the fact that our children may never live independently, it was inspirational to see and listen to someone so happy, with a life so full, and a mother "on the other side."

This young woman has a paying job, she rides the bus independently, she has many friends and even more angels in her life. "I'm always happy," she said, and her beaming face made that statement obvious. "My memories are mine," she told us, but then went on to say that through an organization called PHAME she is working on writing down her memories. She has a voice, and she is working to share it with the rest of us. It is my hope that she'll share it with me and allow me to share it with you.

There is a great YouTube video called I HAVE A VOICE. We need to hear these voices, they have something to tell us, something about the secret to happiness, something about angels and something about love.




* Photo from unitedfamiliesinternational.files.wordpress.com

8 comments:

Wanda said...

Amazing. Grace.
What a face!

Deb Shucka said...

Wow, Carrie, an amazing video. I love that you've created and named this family, and that the rest of us get to benefit from the gifts of grace you share so willingly.

fullsoulahead.com said...

OMG! That beautiful face! What an inspiring post Carrie. Thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

I love the name of your group. Two of my closest friends were women I met fifteen years ago at a support group for mothers of children with special needs. And it was an amazing grace that sent them to me and, I suppose, me to them!

Thanks for this inspiring post.

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

Wow. Love the Amazing Graces. And I completely agree with your assessment. The best thing I did for me and my son was to join a support group. They are my rock. And I so love the video! Thank you for sharing it!

kario said...

Beautifully put, my friend. You are always an inspiration.

Alicia D said...

so awesome!! thanks for sharing this.

Cinda said...

Yes!! Love the name, love the process, love the story. I think we can get through things we never thought we could when we have others that are sharing their journey with us, offering support and hard-earned wisdom and cheering the big and small events.