Tuesday, January 12, 2010


A DREAM COME TRUE

Remember the 28-year-old woman I told you about that just happens to have Down Syndrome? Remember the part about her writing her memories down? Remember the part about me hoping she'd share them with me, so I could share them with you? Well, here you go!

A DREAM COME TRUE

Last month our big, Italian family gathered at Camp Sherman for my Uncle Kent's wedding. My Aunt Laura and Uncle Mark could not be at the wedding because they were at the hospital waiting for their second baby to be born. My cousin Beau was born the day after the wedding.

Two days later, when Uncle Kent and Aunt Alicia were back from their honeymoon, Uncle Mark called everyone to come to a family meeting at my gramma's house.

When everyone was quiet, Mark asked if I would be willing to take the responsibility of being Beau's godmother. Suddenly, all at once, a dream I'd had for many years had come true. I was going to be a mother, just like my godmother, Aunt Robin, has been to me.




Family.

Responsibility.

Dreams.

Love.

I see nothing disabled about this person's thinking. Nothing.




*Photo from: http://scrapframes.com.au/estore

11 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

I don't know who I love more, this woman or her family. What a gorgeous story.

jess said...

Chills, Carrie. This is beautiful.

pixiemama said...

*beautiful*

Amber said...

So much love.

:)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

*tears!* Such beautiful people!

Wanda said...

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly."

Jerri said...

Thank you.

Love.

Kim said...

So absolutely lovely!

Ask Me Anything said...

Came here for my "cuppa" inspiration. Got a mugful. Thanks

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing this beautiful woman with us. And her words. And yours.

kario said...

Nope, not disabled at all. She is different from others in many ways, but not in any more substantial way than any of the rest of us.

Thanks for this, Carrie!