Tuesday, January 26, 2010


... OF TRUST

Been thinking a lot about this dog that's been retired from the Guide Dogs of Oregon. Finding myself welcoming this dog into our home, into our family, into my heart. Already. Finding myself thinking of the logistics. Finding myself coming up with hair clean-up strategies that are reasonable, and not OCD.

Somehow a dog that wasn't even a consideration a week ago, is now something I'll be really disappointed about if it doesn't happen.

Haven't heard back from the agency, and am resting in the knowledge that if not this dog, then, a dog. A dog for Rojo. A dog to help us. A dog for us to love.

Wrote an e-mail to Friend #2 (who in no way is a second rate friend, btw, but is merely #2 because she walked into New Seasons AFTER the other friend). I said, "Just how many Marys you got going over there? We're getting some serious get-a-dog ju-ju over here."

She wrote back, "Mary is screaming at you, I hope you're listening."

I'm listening.

Of course Rojo is the least excited about the whole idea. I asked him in the car on the way to get Woohoo after school, "Rojo? Do you even want a dog?"

Clutching Elmo he piped up from the backseat, "On two conditions. No peeing on the floor, no barking, and no biting."

I didn't bother to tell him that was three. I got the point. The boy is a little scared of dogs, and frankly, so am I. I assured him we'd get a trained dog that would not pee on the floor, DEFINITELY would not bite, and would not bark unless there was danger. He was satisfied.

"Okay, then. What's the dog's name?" he asked.

"Well, there is a dog named Flicka, but we aren't sure we'll actually get that one. She might go to another family. We don't really know yet."

"is Flicka a boy or a girl?" he asked.

"Flicka is a girl," I answered, hands on the steering wheel, eyes meeting his in the rearview mirror.

"I will have a boy dog. I will say, 'Here, boy.' If we get a girl dog I will call him Flicker. We will have a boy dog named Flicker."

Flicker. That's what I have of hope. That we will do this. That this is meant to be. That Mary knows what the hell she's doing here.



* Photo from: www.varmintal.com

18 comments:

One Mom said...

Hugs and love, and many crossed fingers over here that it all works out with Flicka...uh...Flicker.

Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Boy, Carrie, I am following this with bated breath. As another not-a-dog person, straining at the family pressure to acquire pets, it's really a sensitive issue for me.

You are brave, and strong, and a great mom. But you knew that, didn't you?

Jane in Bahrain said...

Carrie I was NOT a dog person either and Khalid was downright hostile in his outlook on "dogs for pets". Married 17 years, we moved to our "farm" which at the time was in a remote agricultural area of Bahrain. Sitting on 3 acres ( yah big "farm") with chickens and sheep, the idea of a pet/guard dog came up. My stuff with dogs is a very looonnnnnnnnnnng story. Just let me say, Choco and Latte, the two German Shepards puppies I brought home one day about a year after moving in, changed my life (two being better than one, of course) All of ours; in the best way possible, and worst too ("best far outweighing the "worst). But absolutely, I am a dog person now. I walk them, talk to them. They love me unconditionally without complication. By all means, listen to Mary. Do it. Love,
J

Wanda said...

I am sure she won't mind being called..."Here, boy!"

jess said...

Aw, he'll - that dog's enough to make me want one - well, almost. But this whole dog thing looks good on you, lady. And Mary - she knows her sh-t.

Lori said...

Mary's giving you more love. Dogs are love. They're work, sure, but they're unconditional love. I ask you - when was the last time love licked your face? :)

Penny said...

Hi Carrie,
Dogs will change your life. They will show you who you are in so many ways that people cannot. You will find unconditional love and acceptance from them. They find your spirit within and love you. A family's just not complete without a dog.It's hard for non-dog-people to understand this. It's like trying to explain air.

Can you tell I am a dog-person? Also a mom with two kids with disabilities. I couldn't ask for a better guide through it all than our dog.

Good luck, whatever you decide,
Penny

Pie Maker said...

I am following this story with much interest. Piper has been asking for a dog for some time now but we haven't been in a place to have one just yet. I'm curious to see how it all works out for y'all. I will be staying tuned....

Suzy said...

You know how I feel about dogs.....

LOVE MINE!!!

Might as well get two, I did.

Love you

Suzy

pixiemama said...

Carrie - this is so similar to what happened with us, and we have definitely ended up with the dog we were meant to have.

Flicker! I love it!

fullsoulahead.com said...

I AM GIDDY WITH HOPE OVER ALL OF THIS!

fullsoulahead.com said...

And so impressed with your willingness to consider something so out of your comfort zone.

Amber said...

Mary ALWAYS knows what she's doing.

:)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! so excited over here (and just about to take my little pup for a walk!)

:)

Deb Shucka said...

I hope you recognize how many light years you've traveled in no time at all. Mary always knows what she's doing and I have a pretty good idea that she's having fun right now.

Anonymous said...

Lead on.

Never thought I'd consider a dog. Never is morphing into well, maybe. We'll see how this goes for you - Keep us posted :)

Jerri said...

Mary knows. She always knows.

kario said...

You rock. Stay the course and you know it will happen the way it is meant to.

BTW, we have a retriever and hardwood floors are the best with respect to dog hair - vacuums up easily. In fact, our dog is such a people-pleaser that we can even use the wand attachment and vacuum the dog directly from time to time.

Love.