Thursday, January 14, 2010


CHANGES

My friend Deb and I have started both our on-line and in-person classes now, and we're having a ball. Of course there have been glitches along the way and a million details, but we're up and running. And running. And running.

It's changed the flow of things around here, I'm much busier (and HAPPIER), and have decided that everyone else around here can, and should, pitch in more, right? So the other night I asked Woohoo to put Rojo to bed. He went for the idea, he actually ran to his room to pick out a book for her to read. She assured him she'd complete the going-to-bed-routine which includes checking on him every eight minutes.

I blissfully went about my work and 90 minutes later went by his room to turn off his night light. There he was, c-r-y-i-n-g. "You didn't put me to bed..." he chocked out. "You didn't even check on me!"

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! I thought you were okay having Woohoo put you to bed! You looked happy! Why didn't you come tell me you were crying?" I said, hardly able to look at him with those crocodile tears and imagining him that way for the last 90 minutes.

"I didn't want to bother you," he said, stabbing the knife through to the other end of my chest.

"Oh, sweet love, you are never a bother, please tell me if you're ever crying and I don't know it," I pleaded.

"You're just doing all these changes on me," he said between sobs.

And he's right, there have been some changes around here. And as hard as they are for him to get his arms around now, he's going to come out one of the winners, because much as I love him, nobody wins when I'm consumed with his needs and little else.

Nobody.

14 comments:

jess said...

One word.

Just one.

BRAVO

fullsoulahead.com said...

You are right.

You are giving him a gift.

And,change is hard.

pixiemama said...

YES!

Jerri said...

This is the definition of Love.

Anonymous said...

"...nobody wins when I'm consumed with his needs and little else."
You're so right. Still hard. But it's more than clear you'll love him right through it.

Wanda said...

You. Are. So. Good.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

"nobody wins when I'm consumed with his needs and little else" - I totally get this. In fact, I just finished writing a post on that topic, and came here and read this. Wavelength!

Lori said...

And he's learning a new rhythm, one in which Mom takes time for herself and still loves everyone. It's a good thing. :)

Drama Mama said...

I love the honesty that you two have with each other; that bond, my friend, will get you two through all the ch-ch-changes that will be happening.

kario said...

You're right. Nobody wins when Momma isn't taking care of herself.

Nobody.

Love to you and Rojo and kudos to Woohoo for being such a great help!

Deb Shucka said...

He'll get there. Look at how his diet's expanded this year. And how he added Mario Kart to the mix. :-)

Anonymous said...

Doing all these changes on him. I know how he feels, only it's life doing it on me. Poor guy.

Lola said...

amazing amazing
xo

Amber said...

Oh gosh. Get out of my head. Wise one.

:)