Monday, January 04, 2010

COMPASSION

"Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something." ~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


A dear and long-term friend (I no longer use the word "old" in reference to a friend), sent me a short e-mail today. "Where are you with your own self?" Today was a good day to ask me that question, because I had time to really think about it. The husband went back to work, the kids went back to school, and I went back to being sane.

As I put away Christmas decorations, cleaned bathrooms, and folded laundry, I processed that question, and I was happy to come up with the answer: really good.

As recently as three months ago I would have answered that question very differently, and I would have had a lot of reasons why I couldn't be good with myself because all these other people were making that impossible.

I'm not saying I've got it all figured out now, either, but I do think I'm on to something that is changing that story: compassion.

The Dalai Lama (your friend and mine) says, "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

That's Truth.




* Photo of Kuan Yin, Goddess of Compassion from images.exoticindiart.com

14 comments:

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

LOVE to hear that you're really good with your own self. Here's a huge, happy hug for you, my friend! xoxo

Amber said...

Yes. To all of this here. Yes.

:)

Wanda said...

Capital T.

jess said...

it's my second favorite word and one of the hardest concepts to truly achieve.

(you go girl)

Kim said...

That is truth. Love this.

I will have to ponder that question today.

Lola said...

"that's truth" and so it is.
thanks carrie
xo

Alicia D said...

Im so glad to read this today. I always need to hear what you say :). Ive been on a mini blog hiatus (reading AND posting) and finally getting back in the groove again post-move and post-holidays. Glad to be back visiting your corner of the world!!

Deb Shucka said...

Love H.H. and his wisdom. Love how you receive, apply and share it. Compassion and fear cannot exist in the same space.

pixiemama said...

Wow! Really good is a WONDERFUL answer.

xo

fullsoulahead.com said...

Love.

Tom Bailey said...

I like the distinction of compassion it can involve everyone.

"A dear and long-term friend (I no longer use the word "old" in reference to a friend), sent me a short e-mail today." - This is a great thing to change - I am going to have to make a shift in my language in that area.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom it was very helpful. It will help me long - term ---- not just when I get ..... well I just will only get long term then.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey

colbymarshall said...

Very true. Good post! ;-)

Elizabeth said...

Lovely words, the truth. Have you looked into Karen Armstrong's compassion project? It's amazing and wonderful...

kario said...

I needed this today. Mostly because I need to have more compassion for myself. I'm starting my days off a day early this week and this is first up - thanks, my dear.