Saturday, January 30, 2010


Eyes two inches from the screen, fingers tapping on the keyboard, words and sentences, whole paragraphs and pages that make sense only to him. Talking to himself, wanting me in the room but not needing me for what he's doing, he says, "Mom? Will the dog come to school with me?"

I look up from my book and say, "Well, I don't know. I'm not sure you'd need the dog to come to school, why?"

"Don't dogs go to school sometimes?" he asks.

"Yes, sometimes they do, for people with disabilities."

"Do I have a disability?"

"Kind of," I answered and immediately regretted that TFBS non-answer answer.

But it satisfied him.

And it kind of satisfies me.

10 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

A true answer for all of us, don't you think? Love your conversations with your boy. Love his wisdom and his great questions.

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

I see a setup coming your way! Oh, but Mom, I need the dog at school! ;)

Wanda said...

Kind of kind.

Tom Bailey said...

That is very interesting having a kid ask such a question. I think you gave a great answer....

One of my disabilities that I share with kids is not always asking the best questions - I need to learn to ask better ones and sometimes that is what blogging is for me a learning to ask better questions venture because I am not a little kid any longer that can get away with it.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me of my "disability" that I am working on.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey

kario said...

Sounds like he's come around to the dog idea. ;-)

I can feel the excitement in your household right now. Do you think you'll take Flicker on your morning walks with you? ;-)

fullsoulahead.com said...

Kind of a perfect answer because it kind of depends. I mean for a school form to get the right services? Yes. For a brilliant life? No.

"Kind of" is not TFBS at all.

Anonymous said...

I've wondered if the Roc will ask and how I will answer. Kind of opens the door to a longer conversation about all of it don't you think?

Amber said...

I like Michelle's comment. Kind of perfect.

:)

Ms. TK said...

Ooooh. Wanda's got it. Kind of kind. I like that.

Ask Me Anything said...

full soul's got this one down.