Sunday, January 10, 2010

GROWING TOWARDS THE LIGHT

Back when I was on my feng shui kick, I moved this plant into my bathroom (the prosperity corner of my upstairs). I needed a little Earth in that area, and so, there you go, Earth.

When I first put the plant there all the stems were growing to the side as a result of the silly place I'd placed it before. I put that plant through hell as it worked to grow towards the light, and did, albeit at a 45 degree angle. Now, just a couple months later, five of the stems have reoriented themselves. They found the new light source and have adjusted accordingly. They have adapted. They have been flexible. They have been forgiving. They have made the best of the situation. They have bloomed where they are planted.

I've got one stubborn stem that doesn't care that I moved it, it's still going in the direction it had been going in. It got the memo of the relocation and chose to ignore it. It's obstinate. It's set in its ways, no matter that they are obsolete and in fact, obscuring their goal.

And then there's the rebel, Mr. Downer. It's growing in an all together different direction just to show me. It doesn't care that the new location is right in front of an eastern facing window with a curtain I open daily, just for him. He wants no part of it. He's a non conformist. He'll do things his own way, thank you very much, he's not a follower, no one is going to call him a sheep!

I could cut him off and give more energy to the others, but I like him. He reminds me of someone. It's not every plant that holds the mirror quite so well.

17 comments:

Wanda said...

It looks like Mr. I-don't-care and Mr. Downer are providing balance.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

What a glorious plant! And so well-balanced - I think all of us have a little part of ourselves that wants to do its own thing.

Elizabeth said...

Goodness! I came to this post, very late at night, after perusing my copy of Move Your Stuff...that book that you told me about. I'm working on the Prosperity corner, too, and seeing some exciting results although I need a lot more clarification. I feel a bit overwhelmed by the feng shui stuff -- how about you?

jess said...

one of my favorite silly songs 'there's one in every crowd. and it's usually me.'

pixiemama said...

I really like that plant, and all that it stands (or droops) for.

xo

Kim said...

Love that plant! (and all that it represents) we've got a few like that in our house!

kario said...

Oh, God, Carrie. This post hit me where it hurts. Especially the part about cutting it off to give more energy to the rest of the plant. I'll be chewing on this one for a while...

Anonymous said...

I like the rebel stems :) They add balance and interest.

Deb Shucka said...

This is one of my favorites of all your posts. I love that plant and all it stands for. I need to meditate on the two leaves refusing to reach for the light and what that might mean for them in the long run, as well as what it does to the whole plant.

Alicia D said...

love this!!!! :)

Lori said...

He's also ballast. He keeps all the others from teetering over the brink. Not everyone is a lemming. ;)

Cinda said...

Love the plant...love the blog! I love to pay attention to the small stuff (like noticing a plant) and try to incorporate it into the big plans (feng shui). Kind of like life....

Jerri said...

I love this plant and your observations of it.

Lola said...

In facebook talk, 'I like this'

fullsoulahead.com said...

: )

Love.

Jenny said...

Ha. Love it.

Me said...

Excellent post!