Wednesday, May 20, 2009


TALKING DEAD

I am not a fan of talking "live." In fact, I have such an unbelievable and irrational fear of it, it's crippling at times. I needed to order STM a gluten-free cake from the local bakery. Total phone time? 1 minute. Total number of minutes spent trying to figure out if it could be done on-line? 30. Total number of days it took me to work up the courage to call? 5. Total number of hassles when I did finally call? Zero.

Once I actually get on the phone, I'm fine, it's the thinking about making or accepting the call that's anxiety provoking.

What is UP with that?

I might be more inclined to work on it if the good Lord hadn't invented Caller ID and the Internet. Not a day goes by that I don't give thanks for those tremendously thoughtful inventions.

My mom has neither - she just up and answers the phone each and every time it rings - can you IMAGINE? And when she has a question, she just picks up the phone to call someone to answer it. Unthinkable.

Woohoo takes after her, she thinks nothing of calling a store to see if they're open, checking on an item, or ordering something to go.

I want to be more like her when I grow up.

8 comments:

pixiemama said...

I freeze every. single. time. the phone rings, and praise the universe for caller id and voicemail. What IS up with that? What are we so afraid of? It feels like a form of agoraphobia to me.

Wanda said...

Sounds like trauma to me. There is a pretty simple intervention to try for that.

Did you order from Piece of Cake?

Michelle O'Neil said...

I had no idea you were phonophobic? Makes me feel extra special for the phone conversations we've had.

I do love me some caller ID though. Best invention ever. It's called taking care of yourself. Not being at the mercy of every energy drain that wants to zap your life force.

Not sure why it's scary to make outgoing phone calls though?

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I am so. like. you about the phone. I get so worked up about having to call someone I don't know. If it's not someone in my immediate family, I have to actually write out what I'm going to say. What is the deal?!

Deb Shucka said...

It sure seems like someone out there must have written a book or something about this subject. Every time the phone rings, my heart stops - no matter what. I always thought I was the only one.

Robin said...

I freeze when I go to type something on the computer. Backspace and retype, etc. We each have different gifts.

hooray said...

I'd rather send a text any day than talk on the phone, and I still have Vonage service after deciding to cancel it a year ago BECAUSE I can't cancel it online -- I have to call!

I love caller id and almost NEVER take a call when it rings. I listen to the message and then decide! ;-)

hg said...

I have no fear of incoming calls. just out going. terrifying unless it's a.) a very tight friend I talk with regularly. b.) a member of my immediate family. or c.) a work related call - in which case I can call anyone, any time, for any reason without thinking twice.

So bizarre. For me it's being totally clueless about how to make small talk. If I have a clear purpose, or if I'm calling someone who already know I'm a total freak, then I'm OK.