Tuesday, May 26, 2009

RUN, GET ME A SPOON

Rojo has been both extra darling lately, and extra buggy - could be the fact that he's on the brink of 13, a teenager, how is that possible?

There are times I could just eat him with a spoon, and I tell him that. Exactly. Actually, what I say is, "Run, get me a spoon" and he generally ignores me and keeps doing whatever it was that elicited that response: looks over the tops of his glasses with a look of utter nonchalance, gives me a closed mouth, huge dimpled grin, or the newest one, the open mouthed gap-toothed smile that kills me every time.

"Run, get me a spoon" I say whenever he's being extra darling. I've added a hand gesture, and at times I just give the gesture - a loop-de-loop with the right index finger pointing towards the kitchen - and just offer that. Sometimes that hand gesture provokes the tiniest of smiles, which is reward in and of itself for me, and thus, requires another, "Run, get me a spoon" response.

But yesterday afternoon he was anything but darling. He was annoying. He was "janked up." "Mom? Am I hyper? Am I in a good mood? Am I janked up?" Yes. Yes. Dammit all to hell, YES! He was extra obsessed with the ice cream man, and whether or not he would show up.

"Mom? Is it hot and warm today? Is the ice cream man going to come today? Is he going to come at 5:15? Are you going to buy Bubble Gum Swirl? Is he going to come at 5:20? Is it hot and warm? Is he going to come? Are you going to get...."

We're talking for four hours straight.

Until I thought I would kill him with my bare hands.

And do you know what that SOB did? Of course you do.

He ran and got me a spoon.

12 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh, how funny! You gotta love that kid. Love, love, love.

Anonymous said...

he wins

and steals our hearts

every

time

know the four hours of 'is it hot today?'

live it

love that kid

Anonymous said...

I love this story. I stumbled across your site through Angie Ledbetter's. I've read some of your back blogs and find them very interesting, funny, and inspirational. I hope you don't mind me following along. Have a great day.

Go Mama said...

Dude, of course he's janked up! He's fully caffeinated's son. And a cute one at that!

Maybe he needs less sugar and carbs and more protein and veg. Or some bio-identicals. :)

jill said...

he is funny, but only you can write this so well.

Angie Ledbetter said...

el.oh.el....maybe he wanted to eat YOU with the spoon?

(Have you tried setting the kitchen timer and telling him it's quiet time/no question zone until the bell rings?) I loved that in my classroom b/c the timer was the bad guy you couldn't argue with, not me. :)

Deb Shucka said...

I've heard that spoons can be used for other things than eating. Just a thought.

Ya gotta give him credit for knowing just what you need. :)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

They know so well what works!

hooray said...

I BET it made you chuckle!

And I BET he knew that it would!

Jerri said...

OMHoG!

Rojo is too funny!

Michelle O'Neil said...

ROlling here!

Anonymous said...

If you do kill him, a spoon would be a could thing, eat the evidence:)