Thursday, May 28, 2009

IF I START TO CRY

The Edie concert last night was INCREDIBLE! And it raised good money for Rojo's school, WIN WIN!

Edie is an absolute delight in person, as well as an amazing singer/songwriter. I urge you all to check out her concert tour schedule and make an effort to go hear her live. She held us all in the palm of her hand. We laughed. We cried. We were moved. Deeply.

The song that got me the most was the one she wrote about her dad, Tim, and with whose blessing she performs it. It's about asking her dad how he could love her when she was so much like her mother, and he didn't love her mother. Anymore.

I think a lot of us can relate to raising children just like our spouse, and/or being just like one of our children, and the "interesting" dynamics this creates in a marriage - in a family.

And the conclusion that many of us come to: if we love our children so deeply and fiercely, can't we work harder to love their grown-up version? Unconditionally?


if i start to cry

I got so much to ask you
It's never the time
Why would I spoil a perfect evening?
We've gotten this far on being polite
Besides, I know you're proud of me

When I was made
Did they leave out a part?
Did you know this
And choose to guard the secret?
You said everybody's born
With a beautiful heart
What was wrong with hers and
Why did you leave it?

If I start to cry, I may not stop
Love runs dry, I run off

Can you help me with this heart
Inside my chest?
It ain't perfect
But you should see me use it
But it only works when I make a mess
When it looks like I'm about to lose it

If I start to cry, I may not stop
Love runs dry, I run off

Yeah I'm just like my mother
Yeah I'm just like my mother
And if you don't love her,
What does that mean about me?

If I start to cry, I may not stop
I wanna know why I run off
I wanna know why I'm like this
I wanna know why


From the CD "When I Was Made" - (2004)

10 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

I think most of us wanna know why.

Wanda said...

Glad to hear of the success. What a potent song...and great question!

Anonymous said...

But it only works when I make a mess

amen

Anonymous said...

Beautiful song. The walls of your house are the same color I just painted my walls. Weird huh?

Anonymous said...

Great lyrics to the most sought out question. Glad y'all had a great time.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow. That's really beautiful Carrie. So glad you hosted a great concert. I knew you would.

Amber said...

Beautiful.

:)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

"We've gotten this far on being polite" - so painfully true with certain people in my life. Profound.

kario said...

LOVE Edie! Sad that I couldn't be there, but I'm so happy she was in your living room.

There's nothing like a performer who is totally honest. She rocks.

hooray said...

Awesome! I'm downloading the CD right now. ;-)