Tuesday, June 10, 2008


WELL BEGUN IS HALF DONE

I am so proud of my daughter. She graduated from 8th grade today. She has come so, so far.

The school gave us back her cumulative file. In it were notes I'd written to teachers about all the different things the poor girl has dealt with over the years. It was sobering. And liberating. She's triumphed.

We've been joking all day that this is her first of four graduations, possibly five, but there's some wiggle room with that doctorate degree, she can decide on that later. My girl is going to go far. For sure.

There were years and years I hoped that to be true, but it looked a little dicey.

Today we celebrate.

One of my favorite people in the world graduated from high school on Saturday. She was the class salutatorian. If you think the world is going to hell in a hand basket, click here.Your faith and hope in the future will be instantly restored.

When this young lady was little, she was such a handful the family ended up in counseling - just didn't know what to do with her. She came home from first grade, outraged, saying, "My teacher isn't teaching me right! Flash cards are not how you learn to read!" And, BTW, everything I learned in my graduate teaching program, concurs.

She was ahead of her times. So was my daughter. My friend Terry said of my girl when she was all of three, "The problem is, she's not happy with her position in the company! You've got her at an entry level position, and she wants to be CEO!"

Pretty much.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that both these girls that "gave their family fits" are going to be just fine. Better than fine.

They are the future leaders of this world.

We are in good hands.



* Photo from www.cameraartistry.com

8 comments:

Jerri said...

Congratulations to all involved. And thanks. I'm feeling pretty hopeful about the world right now.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a proud momma with very good reason.How about #2's speech was far superior to #1's? Being first isn't all it's cracked up to be. As you would say both girls should take an A

riversgrace said...

Congratulations. It's great to hear from this end of the journey. This is your graduation, too.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Congrats Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Carrie. You should be a very proud mom! I do think the best is yet to come.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Enjoy this moment. Her High School Journey will begin soon enough. I am so very proud of her. Have a wonderful summer with her.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Deb Shucka said...

Congratulations all around! It's nice to know that girls who don't settle for what others want for them turn out so incredibly well. That's a truth we could probably apply to ourselves, yes?