Monday, June 09, 2008


"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." H.H. the Dalai Lama

According to Wordnet.princeton, compassion is a deep awareness of and sympathy for another's suffering;
the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it

Yes.

And therein lies the rub: Wanting to do something about it.

But what?

I'm getting the distinct feeling that "nothing" is an option, just holding that person in prayer may be all you can do at times, that "doing" anything may just perpetuate the suffering.

Doing nothing is very, very hard.

Most soul lessons are.

6 comments:

contemporary themes said...

hmmm. hmmm. hmmm. I'll have to really practice this doing nothing thing.

It works for dealing with my mom.

I'm not sure it would have worked for dealing with a current student, but maybe doing nothing is the WISEST choice.

hmmm. hmmm. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

You seem to be of heavy heart. Think i'll keep you in my heart.

Anonymous said...

Doing nothing is so hard for me. When I do nothing, I feel like fear is behind it.

Thanks for giving me this perspective. It is interesting, and you have me pondering. Pondering is good.

XOXO

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Ah Carrie. It is just that prayer is not the active busy-ness to which we have culturally become accustomed, so it can feel like nothing to the ego and the body. Prayer is not nothing, it is everything. It holds the power of transformation, for the one who prays and the one for whom you pray. And...it is hard.

Jerri said...

Doing nothing overt can be very, very hard. But sometimes it's very, very necessary.

Holding someone's highest good and recognizing that we don't know exactly what that means is sometimes the best (and most difficult) thing we can do for another.

Blessings for that journey.

riversgrace said...

Don't underestimate the power of presence and being, the heart and soul of compassion.