Thursday, June 05, 2008


WELCOME TO THE GAME
By Rachel Bissex, sung by the incomparable Tracy Grammer

When you look in the mirror do you like what you see?
Now you’re out of high school will you live life on your knees?
Will you be a poet, a scientist, a nun?
Will you be a mercenary? Will you live life on the run?
Well it’s all laid out before you, all the joy and all the shame
Now that you’re a woman, welcome to the game

Don’t let the game get you cause it surely left me
Standing in the smoking ashes of my life’s debris
The flames lick my lips my eyes turn to ice
I used to be normal, I used to be nice

Your mama stands before you broken and confused
But take my love with you and you can’t lose

Every moment that’s passing reveals the next moment
That’s passing to steal time is passing
Who knows what is real
Who speaks the truth, age or youth?

Will you be a missionary in the forests of Brazil
Or a dancer down in Vegas eating little pills?
Will you be a politician will you bulldoze down the slums?
Will you show the world what’s right
Or will you sit back and act dumb?

It’s all laid out before you all the joy and all the pain
Take my love with you and welcome to the game
Now that you’re a woman welcome to the game


I've received a record number of graduation announcements this year, seems everyone I know has at least one kid graduating from something, and that's big. Something so monumental about the word, "Graduation."

To move forward.

To pass through.

To go beyond.

We all are, though, formally or not. We're all moving through something, trying to go forward, through, and then beyond.

Welcome to the game.

2 comments:

contemporary themes said...

So stealing this! Going to iTunes now to get the song! I'm going to use it for the slide show I'm creating for my seniors!

kario said...

Our family has graduates from kindergarten, high school, middle school and college this June. I am loving the excitement of each of these graduates and am so terrifically proud of them all. What a joy to watch!