Monday, December 28, 2009


A LITTLE LIKE THAT

Wooho has her dearest friend, K., visiting for the winter break. Her friend lives in China now, but comes back to Portland each summer and December. The two girls pick up right where they left off and there isn't a doubt in my mind they will be friends for life, and indeed, are soul mates - mates of the soul.

K. is the same friend of Mary Christ fame, an expression I've stolen and am now passing off as my own on a daily basis. I actually cooked dinner tonight and the five of us sat around the table and enjoyed the time together. After STM and Rojo excused themselves, the girls and I got into an interesting discussion about God, Jesus, heaven, hell, souls, reincarnation and angels.

K. asked if we'd gone to Mass on Christmas or Christmas Eve and we said no. Then Woohoo said, "I don't believe in that. I don't think you have to go to church. I don't believe you'll go to hell if you don't. I don't even know if I believe in God."

"I think Jesus is a myth," K. said. Woohoo quickly chimed in with her agreement and promptly added that the last 10+ years of religion classes are all a bunch of bull, and Jesus didn't die to save us, and that doesn't even make sense.

I got to quickly throw in my theories on enlightenment, reincarnation, Jesus' personification of love, and that indeed, I believe love WILL save us, and perhaps that was the message.

"What's up with angels?" K. asked. "Are they dead or are they alive? Are they here or not? I've been meaning to ask you that."

"Both," i answered. "I believe angels are enlightened beings. Some have chosen to remain in this realm to help us in a tangible way. Some are in the spirit realm and help us in other ways. I think there are angels among us and angels all around us. Both."

"Like Rojo," Woohoo said, "although I can't believe any angel would swear as much as he does."





* Photo from www.angel-guide.com

15 comments:

Ask Me Anything said...

perfect.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I love philosophical discussions like that. Aidan and I have them from time to time, and I just love seeing how his mind works. Life would be so boring without our kids and their friends! Especially without things like Mary Christ and swearing angels! Love it!

Wanda said...

If I ever become an angel, I suspect that I will swear that much. Sometimes nothing else will suffice.

jess said...

like rojo, indeed .. and tell her i'm pretty certain only the most enlightened angels swear.

pixiemama said...

Oh my gosh. LMAO. I don't know, Woohoo. I think angels have to let off some steam somehow. Besides, if swearing is wrong, I don't want to be right - at least at this point in my life.

fullsoulahead.com said...

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it!

Believe it, Woo-hoo. BELIEVE it.

Amber said...

HA!! :)

But maybe they do. I imagine angels see a lot to swear about.

;)

Deb Shucka said...

That last line caught me so off guard I nearly wet my pants. I think I hear angels laughing somewhere. Love the conversation and the safety those girls feel to explore what they believe. Love that you get to be their wise woman.

cheryl said...

Mary Christ! :-)

Tom Bailey said...

These type of topics are challenging to have because people can come from such strong viewpoints that they make other people feel wrong.

Whatever truth ends up being it is not a popularity contest. Truth is truth even if it is just one person... Kind of like the people that said the 4 minute mile was not possible and that the body would fall apart.

I have to struggle and remind myself often that I do not always know the truth of the limitations of what is possible.

Thanks for sharing and it is great you have friends that can have a talk about something like this.

Kindest regards,
Tom Bailey

Jess said...

Love that.

Elizabeth said...

I love your explanation of angels -- and the comment from the sister about the brother is priceless. I wrote an article about angels that was published in the magazine Spirituality and Health -- I would be interested in hearing what you thought about it.

Anonymous said...

Remind of a movie "Micheal" with John Travolta. He was "not that kind of angel" he kept saying. He smoked, he drank, I think he swore too.

Too funny.

kario said...

Rojo's definitely an angel and he's only using the language he knows will work best in the circumstances in which he's been placed ;-)

Any angel who's gonna get my attention will have to swear, too.

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

So funny! Love this discussion with your kids! Wow.