Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Shhhh...

Took the kids to see Santa yesterday at the mall. A family tradition that won't die just because they are now fifteen and thirteen. Rojo is as excited this year for Santa as he was... last year.

We told Woohoo she didn't have to actually go tell Santa what she wants this year, she could skip it, just watch as Rojo sat on Santa's lap and told him what he wanted. But being the super kid that she is she said, "No, it means a lot to Rojo. I'll do it." And so it did, and so she did.

Rojo plunked himself right down on the armrest of Santa's generous chair, and Woohoo plopped down on the opposite armrest. I wildly took pictures and STM held our coats.

"What do you want for Christmas?" Santa asked Rojo.

"I... I.... What do I want, Mom? Oh, um, ah, I want a big Cookie Monster," Rojo said with hesitation, even though he's been telling me for three straight months he was going to ask Santa for a big Cookie Monster. Buckled under pressure.

And yes, Rojo will be getting a three foot Cookie Monster for Christmas - just like the one in the naturopath's office that started this whole thing (don't even ask how much this costs and how hard it was to find). I said to STM, not believing my own words as they flew from my mouth, "Are we actually going to spend $_______ getting a three-foot Cookie Monster for our 13-year-old?"

Then we both said in perfect unison, "Yes."

Because he wants it. He really, really wants it.

And it's Christmas.

And he asked Santa.

And he's expecting it.

And there are worse things for thirteen-year-old boys to want.

And we love him.





* Photo from www.manhattanmom.com

15 comments:

pixiemama said...

Yes, you do love him. You are wonderful, wonderful parents.

fullsoulahead.com said...

We all love him.

Deb Shucka said...

I'd love to see his face on Christmas morning. You and STM rock as parents. Love.

jess said...

It's what we do, honey. We buy the pony.

The way you love and respect him is beautiful.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Yes. Love.

Jenny said...

I love cookie monster! Promise to post a picture, 'kay?

Tabitha Bird said...

And that is too darn cute...though probably don't mention cute when you give the cookie monster to him. Take heaps of photos. When he is eighteen he will love you for them :)

Wanda said...

Oh, yes. You do. And so do we.

Wanda said...

And Woohoo really, really rox.

Amber said...

Big smiles.

:)

Jill said...

oh my gosh,i love you. you are the mom.

Elizabeth said...

This made me want to cry because it's so rare to read a Christmas post that's cheerful and hopeful and good. I'm so excited for Rojo and wish I could see his face on Christmas morning.

Lola said...

Amen to a 3 ft cookie monster!

Anonymous said...

Yes, for the love of those children who hardly EVER ask for anything at all. I searched high and low for a purple hippo and scarfed up the last one on amazon. If it makes them happy! He will love opening that cookie monster!

kario said...

I love that Bubba convinces me every year to go for the "Wow!" gift for the girls. No matter how silly. There's nothing like hearing the squeal on Christmas morning.