Sunday, June 28, 2009


GARAGE SALE AFTER THOUGHTS

The garage sale went better than I'd expected, especially considering there were multiple opportunities for my pain body to become activated.

What I didn't expect was all the surprise visitors. You see, this is a neighborhood-wide garage sale, it's "famous." People come from all over to have the ease of garage sale after garage sale as well as well-placed port-o-potties and opportunities to support youth groups, and other worthy causes, by buying a hotdog or snow cone.

The traffic started about 7:30 A.M. and didn't start to die down until after 3:00 P.M. In that time one of Rojo's preschool teachers came by, his 6th grade teacher and two former babysitters. Old neighbors that have moved and were back visiting, neighbors that still live right where they always have but whom we seldom see, and friends from every chapter of our lives.

The whole thing ended gloriously when a friend from high school - on the hunt for soaker hoses - showed up. She didn't find her soaker hoses, but she met up with another friend, stopped by to get me and said, "You know it occurred to us, we could be drinking Margaritas right now." 15 minutes later the three of us - one old friend and one new and me - were drinking delicious Margaritas on a hot summer day, and laughing until we made spectacles of ourselves.

We sold all our junk, Woohoo made some money for her room makeover project, and several family members worked together harmoniously.

Last night I was keyed up from the day and having trouble sleeping. Eventually I did sleep, and I dreamed of the garage sale. People kept coming up to me with odds and ends and were asking, "How much?" Finally someone came up with a lobster cage filled with books. I knew it was some kind of sign. Time will tell just what kind of sign it proves to be.

All in all a good day.

11 comments:

Jerri said...

Could you see what books were in the cage? I'd sure love to know that! Wouldn't you?

Part of me....

Wanda said...

Were they your book? Are there any publishers in Maine?

Angie Ledbetter said...

So glad all went well, Carrie.

Amber said...

A lobster cage filled with BOOKS?! Wow. What is that? lol Tell us when you figure it out.

happy it went well.

:)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

"You know it occurred to us, we could be drinking Margaritas right now." - That's got to be my favorite quote of the year!

Anonymous said...

your book .. soon to be let out of the cage!!!!

and margaritas do make everything more fun now don't they?

Ms. TK said...

I want to have a garage sale now.

I KNOW I said that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, but this is a true example of turning lemons into le-
Margaritas.

xo

pixiemama said...

I'm hanging my head.
I helped at a yard sale this weekend that was more of the "pins in the eyes" variety. If only I had thought ahead to drink and make a spectacle of myself instead.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow! Great day! So glad it went well.

I think it means we'll all be having Lobster (on you) when your book soon becomes a smash hit. I'm ordering margaritas with mine, so bring lots of cash.

Deb Shucka said...

So glad it turned out so well. I'm sure because you were open to the gifts of the day.

So, what did that dream say to you? And how did you know it was a lobster cage?

Jess said...

Damn, I missed your garage sale! I'm much slower at the blog reading these days. So glad it went well!!