Friday, September 12, 2008



TUILLEADH

The high school friend that first let me know of Kelly's death, has a "weird" e-mail address, it contains the word "Tuilleadh." When I asked her about it, all she said was, "It's Gaelic."

I wouldn't let it go. I know you're not surprised.

So I Googled tuilleadh, and found out it means "more." Still, I wouldn't let it go.

I e-mailed her, "Please tell me more about 'more!'"

This is her response:

"Tuilleadh 101:
It's practical and philosphical.
It means nothing and it means everything.
Nothing because it's just an email address, everything because it could be a way of life.
It's Gaelic, so like the Irish, it is hard to pin down to one meaning and even harder to pronounce.
Practical: a little unexpected extra (more) in a package - something tangible. Say you sell a book to someone and put a cd in the package of the music you were listening to at the time. Don't tell them its coming, just put a little something in.
Philosophical: to do a little extra or unexpected "thing" (go further, go beyond, do more) for friend, family or stranger. Not to give them a gift as in a wrapped box, but to give a moment. A moment of time or the random act of kindness, put a little of you in.
Whoa. Now would be a good time for a Guiness!"

Tuilleadh.

Totally. Stealing. Tuilleadh.

BTW:
Tuilleadh = Twill-uhach
T= tongue at teeth
ui=wi (short i sound)
ll= l
ea=uh
dh=ach (as in Bach when spoken by a classical music fan)

2 syllables with the stress on the 1st, in the 2nd syllable the sounds run together. Best practiced when paired with an Irish lilt and perhaps a beverage.




Photo (and shirt) from rdr.zazzle.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally loving Tuilleadh! What a great way to be...Reminds me of some very special bloggers I have met right here in Blogland.

Joanne said...

All that out of one word. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Slainte! (Cheers!)

Angie Ledbetter said...

Kinda the same meaning we have here in Cajun Land with "lagniappe." ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm Irish so I'm stealing it too.Wish we could meet for a Guiness about now!
Lo

Amber said...

Hmm, I have a favorite cd of Irish music by women, and one sone is call "Tuilleadh, Tuilleadh". It is beautiful. I didn't know what it meant, though. Now I will have to listen with new ears.

:)

Michelle O'Neil said...

There was a reason you persisted. The word called to you, because it IS you.

Love.

contemporary themes said...

I'm part Irish, too, and HELLO, my name is Shelia.

So, I'm stealing it, too! : )

You are amazing! I love how you pursue the "Tell me more" philosophy!

Ask Me Anything said...

Michelle's right! How do you pronounce it?

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Love to steal it but...how does one pronounce "tuilleadh"?