Sunday, February 11, 2007

Valentine's Day has always been my favorite holiday, and not just because it is also my birthday. I like that gift giving is optional on Valentine's Day. People love it when you do a little something, but it's totally fine not to. It's a day to celebrate love. Not enough has been made about love, if you ask me. Love. Simple word, complex feeling/power/energy/transformative little word.

I went to the beach this weekend with two women I love. We love each other. Period. We watched both "The Vagina Monologues" and "VDAY UNTIL THE VIOLENCE STOPS." I was so mistaken about what "The Vagina Monolgues" were. Here I am trying to save the world, do something about the incredible abuse women and children suffer sexually, and I had given "The Vagina Monologues" nary a nod. Now I am all things Eve Ensler.


I love how we went to the beach to celebrate my birthday, celebrate love, and ended up learning about VDAY, February 14, 2002. Over 800 cities around the world performed "The Vagina Monologues" to raise money and awareness about the violence against women. V for violence. V for vaginas. V for Valentine. One day there will be a V for victory, I'm sure of it.

My favorite quote from the VDAY movie is Eve Ensler's, "It's like people saying I'm exposing the vagina. I am exposing the vagina. 'But it's a mystery,' they say. What does that mean, mystery? It means women don't know how to give themselves pleasure, they don't know how to tell others to give them pleasure, and when they are raped they don't tell anyone about it. Let's forget mystery. Let's move along."

Let's consider taking a moment this Valentine's Day to put the intention to the Universe that women everywhere be given voice, freedom, respect and the honor they all deserve.

thanks.

love.

9 comments:

jennifer said...

Love this and love you!

All women (and men) should watch the V Mono. very important work, very important truths.

riversgrace said...

I was just invited to a performance of the VM and, like you, just didn't really get it before. Can't wait to see it. What a birthday for you!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Yes. Let's.

Thank you Carrie.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, let's do it! I'm in--VDAY 2007!

Jerri said...

Absolutely.

My response to the V M has been pretty much like yours. Now I'm gonna go rent the thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

kario said...

Okay, after this post I'm feeling a little bad about my Valentine's Day post. It was a bit flippant...

Thanks for this. Glad you got to celebrate your birthday with love. You deserve it!

Blair said...

Love this post -love Eve Ensler -Love my "kuchy-snorcher!"

Jenny said...

Happy belated birthday!

Writer said...

YES...I went to the V monlogues and my armpits flowed with perspiration everytime they said the word, "vagina"...but I loved it! Love what she is doing! Thanks for this post and Happy Birthday!
Lee