Friday, December 26, 2008

CROSSING THE FINISH LINE

It's funny what 14 days of being snowed in with the three people you love most in the world, will do to you.

"Funny" is just my cute little way of saying I do not like the person it's turned me into. I know there are spiritual lessons all over the effing place. I know there are gifts upon gifts of this unstructured, wide open, day after day of nothing time together.

I know that.

I know that being "given" the opportunity to talk about beetles, college fight songs, water bottles and YouTube "bleeps" is fertile ground for getting myself on the Eightfold Path, and keeping me there.

I know that.

I know that I am blessed beyond belief to have a loving, healthy, happy family. I have a warm, safe, dry, lovely home big enough for us to spread out. We've had our electricity and Internet working beautifully throughout the last two weeks of foul weather. We weren't planning to travel, and our family is close by and our Christmas was lovely. Just really, really lovely.

And tomorrow I will find the camera cord, upload the pictures, put away some of the mess, and begin missing the season as it moves from "coming" to "going."

But tomorrow is years away from today.

Today is the day after Christmas, and most of the women I know liken Christmas to a marathon, and even if they've finished the marathon nicely, full of vim and vigor, the day after, they can hardly walk.

It's like that.

8 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

If I ever needed another reason why I'd never live in the frozen nawth before, your testimonial is it. I'd be a raving lunatic by now (for real real), and I worry about all 5 of my family members surviving that much "bonding" time. You have my respect, woman! :)

Kathi said...

Yes, it's like that and I'm pooped.

Being snowed in, fertile ground indeed. Ha ha.

This too shall pass...eventually.

contemporary themes said...

I'm at the other extreme here -- TOTALLY ALONE! And while I'm usually okay with that, Christmas alone sucks! And it's made me "crazy" in a "funny" way too!

Deb Shucka said...

I've started to tell myself how good it's going to feel when the snow is gone - that wonderful sense of releasing freedom. If I didn't have company, all of the Christmas stuff would be put away today and I'd be decorating for spring!

Anonymous said...

Fourteen days! I would have had trouble finding spots for all the bodies:)

Kristi said...

Seriously....this snow deal was like "house arrest". 3 weeks with no school, snow and a holiday....I think I have aged at least 10 years

Blair said...

You said it sister! We all just finished a major marathon! When does school start again????
xoxoxox Blair

Nancy said...

from the northeast...not nearly enough snowed in, trapped, downtime and it all sounds kind of like a blessing when we've been nothing but go, go, go!

I guess the grass is always greener...and the snow whiter...on the other side. :)

Hoping you will melt soon.