Sunday, May 23, 2010


STRENGTH


Hadn't been to my beginner's yoga class in thirteen days. Was really feeling the lapse - what had been effortless just two weeks ago, was not today. Effortful it was, and I was determined to fight through it. No matter how many times my Lithuanian instructor cautioned us to listen to our bodies, and that doing so was a sign of strength, and not of weakness, I pushed on, ignoring her. Ignoring my body. Ignoring the wisdom.

Classic Carrie.

And while I have come a long way in learning to listen, I still have a long ways to go, also in redefining weakness and strength.

When we were in one particularly challenging pose (no idea what it's called), she said, "Find the ease. Now find the challenge. Put them together. Take the ease, put it with the challenge. In your mind, move them on top of each other, let them work together. That is how you get stronger - combining ease with challenge. Now, when you are in your challenge, breathe ease into it."

What if I were to take the ease of love and put it on top of the challenge of apologizing? What if I were to take the ease of laughter, and put it together with the challenge of forgiveness? What if I were to take the ease of caring and overlap it with the challenge of non-judgment?

How much can I truly bend?






*Photo from: www.yogatohealth.com

9 comments:

Wanda said...

Sounds like a good class. I'm feeling a little stiff myself.

Elizabeth said...

These are remarkable thoughts and perfect for me, too, to mull over tonight. I am a bit obsessed with the word "ease" of late and have actually been crafting a post about it -- in my head. I love this idea of layering ease with challenge.

Jerri said...

What wonderful questions you ask this morning, Ms. Link.

What if....

Deb Shucka said...

I love this analogy, and the instruction to blend ease with challenge. And it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who doesn't listen, even when I know better. :-)

Yoga life lessons - aren't they amazing?

One Mom said...

I love how you can relate to seemingly totally different things like that. Makes me think about what I might be able to do.

Thanks for the inspiration! :)

fullsoulahead.com said...

"What if I were to take the ease of love and put it on top of the challenge of apologizing? What if I were to take the ease of laughter, and put it together with the challenge of forgiveness? What if I were to take the ease of caring and overlap it with the challenge of non-judgment?"

THAT'S classic Carrie.

jess said...

i'm so keeping this one - breathe the ease into the challenge. no idea how to execute it, but damned if i don't like it.

and um, yeah, what michelle said.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

"That is how you get stronger - combining ease with challenge" - I definitely need to remember that.

kario said...

I'm sitting here in a puddle right now, wishing I could give you a big hug. What a lovely, lovely sentiment. I am so honored to know you, Carrie.