Tuesday, May 04, 2010

FULL CIRCLE


Ran into a friend at the park last night when I had Rojo and Flicka there after dinner. It's not really a park, it's the public school playground near our house. It doesn't really matter except that everything matters in a nothing matters way. That's really the point. Right?

Friend said, "How's your book?"

"Pulled it," I said, one hand on Flicka giving her an absent minded pet.

"Self publish," she said, while deftly grabbing her escaping toddler with one hand.

"Good idea," I said, and if publishing it were now the objective, I'd consider that. "Thing is, don't really want it published after all."

She looked at me quizzically, as if to say, wasn't that the point of writing it?


And that was the point. Until it wasn't. Until the point became something else. Until the point stopped being to have everyone and their mother read it. Until the point was that just writing it was enough.


"Turns out it was just a really long way to get back to where I started. Spent years and years, lots and lots of money, turned myself and everyone around me inside and out, then got back to where I began."

Her eyes turned up in a now-I-get-it way.

"Full circle," I said.

"Full circle," she said.

And we laughed.




* Photo from: www.barbarabartlettart.com/circle_FullCircle

14 comments:

pixiemama said...

The beauty in that? Now you know.

love.

Elizabeth said...

I wish I could type these words in a circle:

Wise words.

Brenda Rothman (Mama Be Good) said...

Wow! That is something! I know what you mean about just the writing is enough. But to have the insight and perspective to stop and adjust course? That's amazing.

Deb Shucka said...

Don't you love friends who get it? I love your clarity - and the great storytelling here. Love you.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Love.

Wanda said...

Love.

jess said...

.. the lion had courage, the tin man had a heart and the scarecrow had a brain, but they all needed the journey to find them within.

xo

Jerri said...

You are my human.

Amber said...

I have been thinking of a tat like this, lately... Wanna get matching ones?! ;)

:)

Tabitha Bird said...

Full circle. Yep. But I am sad I won't get to read it. I like Jerry's comment, 'you are my human.' Here here :)

Anonymous said...

I like that.

Unknown said...

wow.
that's peace .

and you know, I know this a bit.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I am so thankful for your blog - so that we may be privy to your insight. I mean that with every fiber of my being.

kario said...

You rock.

But you knew that, right?