Monday, October 19, 2009


SHOT CLOCKS

The magician-turned-naturopath e-mailed and said for Rojo to get into the 10th percentile for weight (so as not to cause a CARDIAC concern - holy $#%@), he needs to weigh 82 lbs., 20 lbs. above where he was when he first saw her. We're up six, maybe even seven so I had a little chat with Rojo.

"Rojo, you need to gain fourteen more lbs. You've already done a great job of gaining six, so let's do something special. Every time you gain five more pounds we'll do something fun. You can be thinking of what you want to do for each of these times!"

"I already know what I want to do, Mom, I want to go to Starbucks and get ice water and watch the shot clocks."

There is a Starbucks just down the road from us and it's on a busy corner. If you get your ice water and go sit outside and pull the chairs to the middle of the corner of the sidewalk, thereby impeding pedestrians, dog walkers and strollers coming from all directions, you can see not one but TWO cross walk signs that countdown numerically, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 then the orange hand goes up to indicate STOP.

So, needless to say, that's exactly what we did.

He watched, and help count (loudly) for the "shot clocks," and I observed all the people going by and tried to look nonchalant as they struggled to get around us.

I saw a little family, man, woman, four-year-old boy and two-year-old girl going by. The man gently placed his arm around the woman, then moved his arm across her back in a brief but tender gesture that deeply moved me. Then he took off his sweater.

I bet she said she was cold so he's taking off his sweater and giving it to her, I thought.

So, needless to say, that's exactly what he did.

That's lovely, I thought. That kind of pure love.

I looked over at Rojo. He shows me that kind of pure love every single day. My eyes filled with tears and I hoped he'd keep looking at the shot clock and not at me.

So, needless to say, that's exactly what he did.

12 comments:

fullsoulahead.com said...

Aw. So sweet! Go Rojo! Eat, eat, eat!

Anonymous said...

You probably do this already but for years I added butter or cream to most of Katie's food, her diet is still pretty heavily loaded with french fries.

I hope he gains the weight soon, happy counting.

jess said...

And you, standing at the corner, watching the 'shot clocks' do EXACTLY the same. No truer, more generous love than yours for that incredibly lucky boy.

Jerri said...

Needless to say, I love how Rojo is thrilled by the simplest things.

Wanda said...

Needless to say, I am thrilled for you.

Is the magician-turned-naturopath named Mary? Just wondering.

Drama Mama said...

This killed me.

You, sitting there, with the shot clocks.

You are every bit as tender and loving.

Love you. Mangia, little buddy. Take one for the team!

Go Mama said...

Needless to say, I love you both, even though I know this is a difficult time. Your patience is admirable.

Have you tried blender smoothies? My daughter's fave is peanut butter banana. You can sneak in full-fat milk and protein powder. Easy on the braces.

Another idea is to somehow get Rojo involved in the preparation. Kids who have a connection to what they're eating tend to want to eat more of it. Is he interested in visiting a farm? Taking a kids cooking class? Can you hire/find a chef (friend) to come and cook with him at your home? (It works better if it isn't mom who's teaching.)

I'm guessing you have already taken stock out on the company that makes those spinach pizzas.

Good luck!

Deb Shucka said...

Such simple pleasures. Such powerful love.

kario said...

Damn you guys slay me.

Every time.

Milkshakes are my friend. Hot fudge milkshakes from Burgerville. Good for a few pounds, I'd think.

;-)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Yes, what Jess said. You are pure love.

Amber said...

"...and tried to look nonchalant as they struggled to get around us."

LOL, I could see that.

How about some chocolate milk on the side of that ice water? Would he go for that?

:)

hooray said...

Lovely boy! Lovely mom!

Will he eat spaghetti with cream sauce?