Saturday, September 12, 2009


SOMETHING TO PONDER

"It's that I leap and then I look
At all the chances that I took
Feel the air, miss the catch
So I have to swing back

My timing's all wrong
And the ladder is gone
And all I can do, is
Swing 'til it's all net below
All I can do, is
Swing 'til it's all net below
And I can let go"

From "No Net Below" by Jonatha Brooke


There's a mixed CD I made for a friend months ago, but never burned a copy for myself. I got a nudge this week to burn a copy for me, and so I did. I've been listening to it ad nauseam, and turns out? About every song is either about love., angels and/or Mary. No accidents. Didn't "plan" it that way when I made the CD, just liked the songs. It's got Kris Delmhorst singing "Love and Everything," it's got Tracy Grammer singing "Mother, I Climbed," and it's got Patty Griffin singing "Mary."

It also has Jonatha Brooke singing "No Net Below," and for some reason, those lyrics have gotten in my brain and won't let go. It speaks to where I am now - swinging, swinging, swinging, looking wildly around for the net.

The very next song on the CD is Edie Carey singing "Fall or Fly." She sings:

"So don't look down, no
It's all in your head, baby
It's about time you decide
If you're gonna fall or fly"

In this pilgrimage with Mary that I'm on, the book is doing a lovely job of getting me to consider prayers, songs, poems and scripture in different, really illuminating ways. Today was all about how Mary "pondered in her heart," her heart being her whole self: mind, body and spirit. It says, "Ultimately, pondering in the heart means reflecting on things from a perspective of love..."

And we all know that love and fear cannot co-exist, so there's the rub. I've been reflecting on things from a perspective of fear, and not love.

It's all in my head.

It's about time I decide if I'm gonna fall or fly.


* Photo from www.trapezehigh.com

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It speaks to where I am now - swinging, swinging, swinging, looking wildly around for the net."

Faith is knowing that the net is there and/or WILL be there when you're ready for it. Enjoy the swinging and the wind rushing through your hair. I can hear your inner child giggling with abandon at this weightless freedom!

Love. You.
-M

Jerri said...

Fly. You are going to fly. I don't know where or how far or how high, but you will fly.

Prayers winging their way to you and for you, now and always.

hooray said...

I listened to Meg Hutchinson all the way to my friend's house last night (about an hour each way!). I kept hitting replay on my iPod especially on "Home" and "Whole Bird." And I only know about her through you!

I feel you on the swinging thing! Hang on, Sweetie! It's all going to come together!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Soar!

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

"love and fear cannot co-exist" - definitely something I need to ponder. Sending love.

pixiemama said...

I keep waiting to hear the name of this CD! I have to have it! I love Patti Griffin's "Mary." It's been in my head since I read this. Then, when I just turned on my iPhone to listen to it, the phone scrolled and landed on Ani DiFranco's "Landing Gear," which has the amazing, reaffirming refrain "look how much the world loves you." No accidents. Hope I was on your number 2 list, because YOU would be on my number 1 list.

love.

Deb Shucka said...

You fly. Always. This was an especially lovely post. Love you.

Jess said...

Lovely post. Excellent musical choices. :)

Amber said...

When you think you're going to fall, a wind will come up and lift you.
If you hold tight to where you are, you won't get the chance to feel that. Fly, fly, fly!

:)

jess said...

When you get to the end of all the light you know and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen: either you will be given something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly

edward teller

kario said...

You're gonna fly, sweetheart. No doubt about it. Glad you've recognized that and you can be on your way with it ;-)