Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BIRD BRAINED

There was a family of quail outside my door a little bit ago. They fascinate me. The mother and father move in and around the group of their children, their number impossible to count because they move so quickly. Are there fourteen little babies? Sixteen? Did I count that one already? Oh, there's one more over there.

After they walk, hop and fly away beyond the view of my open sliding glass door, I go to the computer and Google "symbolism of quail." I read: protectiveness, group harmony, devotion, permanence, eternity, and life cycles.

It is no accident the quail are here with me today. These are the themes I'm turning over in my mind.




* Photo from farm2.static.flickr.com

11 comments:

Jerri said...

Protectiveness. Group harmony. Big themes. Good thing you've got the quail there to help you reflect.

Me said...

Those are nice themes. Could you send them down here to So Cal?

kario said...

I am so glad you are where you are right now - physically, emotionally, spiritually - with the quail.

Sending love and light to you, my friend.

jess said...

i love that they chose to stand in the light. the shadows were very close by.

Amber said...

Meant for you! You already have all these qualities. Did they show up to remind you?

:)

Go Mama said...

Family. No accidents.

Angie Ledbetter said...

I love bird messengers. Those and the Marys. We're pretty well covered.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I love what they symbolize. I think they're my new favorite birds.

Deb Shucka said...

Great themes. The word devotion stood out for me in connection to your Mary work. I love quail - they are dignified and comical all at the same time, and you never ever see just one. So glad they're there with you.

Robin said...

Have I told you lately how much I LOVE the way you look at the world?

Michelle O'Neil said...

Love it.