Sunday, September 20, 2009

RACE FOR THE CURE

Woohoo, my MIL and I did our 10th Race for the Cure today. Portland has the third biggest Race for the Cure in the country, and biggest on the west coast (estimated 50,000 people today). My mother is an eighteen-year survivor, and this has become our tradition. Each year I can hardly see through all the tears. It's so touching to see all the "In celebration of..." signs on people's backs, and more than I can stand to see the "In memory of..."

To stand beside my 81-year-old mother-in-law in her pink hat and special survivor's shirt, and my blossoming daughter, fills me. It fills me with solidarity. It fills me with awe of all those lives affected. It fills me with hope that we will find a cure.







12 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Love it. The three of you together is a beautiful thing. Thanks on behalf of my sister. 7 years cancer free!

A cure yes, of course. And let us also get to the root of the causes.

Jenny said...

love.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Really touched by this. What a beautiful thing to do every year.

jess said...

my mom's a survivor. her mom was not. i pray our girls don't ever have to know what it means.

gratitude and love.

Ms. TK said...

This made my cry.

Thank you.

Kathi said...

Okay, I love that picture of the three of you. Wow.

Sadly, my mother was not as fortunate.

Deb Shucka said...

What a wonderful tradition. All of that unique (mostly) female energy in one place is a power like no other. Love.

Wanda said...

So many lives touched....

What a beautiful tradition.

marge said...

I love the picture of the three of you. Our race for the cure is Oct. 16. I have done it for 12 years now, in 3 different cities. In memory of my beautiful Mother.

kario said...

Cure or not, I love the tradition in your family and the togetherness.

Love you all!

Go Mama said...

Love it! All three of you.
And love the Hope. shirt too!

Amber said...

Wonderful!

:)