Monday, September 14, 2009

GIFTS

As part of today's pilgrimage with Mary, the exercise was to make a list of ten people that have given us a gift - said something we never forgot, were there for us when we needed them, gave us a physical gift we have treasured, or reflected back to us something we were looking for. We were to write the name of the person, how old we were at the time, where we were at the time, and what the gift was. I tried to just write the first ten names that popped in my head, and had difficulty stopping at ten, but because I am a rule follower, and the rules clearly said "stop at ten," I did.

The reason we were to stop at ten was that was only half the exercise. The other half was to do the same thing but for people we have gifted.

I found both halves of the exercise very illuminating - of course nowhere on either list was something I'd actually "given" or been "given." Nothing I'd gone shopping for. Nothing I'd wrapped, shipped off, delivered with a flourish. What showed up for me most on list #1, was the way certain people throughout my life have made me feel. Namely: seen, heard, validated, special.

List #2 also revealed a list of those that have gifted me - gifted me by allowing me to share my gifts with them.


* Photo from www.deborahkingcenterpromotions.com

6 comments:

Wanda said...

I need some help from Mary today--physical strength I don't know I have or someone to help (and I don't know in my conscious mind where to find him/her). Please join with me....

Deb Shucka said...

Ten doesn't seem nearly enough for the number of people for whom your presence is a gift of love.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Those are definitely the best gifts of all.

Amber said...

Hmmm, I think this is a great idea. But as I was reading, and thinking yes, I should do that, and then I read the second part...I had trouble. What have I given? I have a hard time thinking that way. I'm not sure. Is it just the saying it that is hard? Or do I not give much? I need to think about what that means.

:)

Wanda said...

Update: Thanks for joining with me. You gifted me here. I got what I needed.

Love.

kario said...

Doing this today.
I swear it.
Man, what a powerful idea!