Saturday, November 14, 2009

John Fitzgerald Kennedy
I talk to Mary. I'm sure that doesn't surprise you. And sometimes, I swear she answers me. Not a voice, but words come into my mind and they are not mine, so I'm guessing they are hers.
I've been really putting her to work lately, setting her off in a million directions, and putting all my burdens on her. Yesterday, as one particularly sticky situation that could have gone either way, went "my" way, or at least the way I felt was the most positive, I thanked her. "Mary, thank you. That was really great. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you."
"Think nothing of it," she said.
At first I just thought she was being modest, but I've come to know her better than that. She was being literal. Stop thinking. Put the gratitude in my heart, and get it out of my brain.
* Photo from www.worldofstock.com


13 comments:

Wanda said...

Yeah. The heart is the center of the universe. We're better off there.

pixiemama said...

:)

Jerri said...

Love Mary's response.

Love Wanda's response, too. "The heart is the center of the universe." How true.

Elizabeth said...

I love all of this -- the picture, Mary, what you wrote, your gratitude. Thank you for posting.

jess said...

i like that. my brain's well over capacity - might look into moving a few boxes on down.

xo

Deb Shucka said...

I love the conversations the two of you have.

Lola said...

My gosh, in some ways we must be twins! I happened upon this great quote awhile ago myself and use it a lot! I use it A LOT!!!! It's a mantra of sorts!!!!!
xoxo
"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Good advice, indeed.

Lori said...

From one mom to another, eh? :)) I've had conversations with Mary, but not for a while. Maybe now's the time. I need her advice on a few things...

kario said...

I hate it when people say I think too much!

Maybe I wouldn't mind if someone like Mary said it, though....

Ask Me Anything said...

I've been revisiting this for days. Thanks Mary--uh, I mean Carrie.

Jane goodwin said...

such a beautiful icon, thank you sharing!I talk to her too, she has been tapping my shoulder for years, I only recently started to hear her. I think she had to hit me with a brick to finally get my attention, and she did! J

Heather said...

What a lovely post.