Monday, April 05, 2010


"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."
Carl Jung

Happy Easter Monday, as some people refer to today!

Rojo is a big believer in the Easter Bunny, Devohn, as some of you faithful and long-term readers may recall. Each year about a month before Easter Rojo starts asking about Devohn, when will he come, how old is he, and can I stay up and take a picture. Darned if I don't fall asleep year after year before Devohn comes, and I miss the photo op.

This year Devohn left a small stuffed version of himself in Rojo's Easter basket. Rojo was over the moon. "Look, Mom, look what Devohn left! He left himself he's right here! This is Devohn!"

Rojo hugged and lugged Devohn all over the house Sunday, and slept with him cradling his neck like one of those airplane pillows.

At least three different times throughout the day Rojo would stop what he was doing, look up at me and say, "Mom, this is a great Easter. I'm having a great Easter. Thank you for my great Easter."

At one point, mid morning, after the Easter egg hunt and before the family dinner, he said, "Mom, I am going to pray for you every day." Then he went back to what he was doing and I tried to go back to what I was doing, but I couldn't quite, because knowing he was going to pray for me every day felt like a blessing of the highest kind. And whatever you were doing before you received such a blessing doesn't really matter that much anymore after such a blessing.


13 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

That Devohn has some serious power! What an appropriate blessing on a day of rebirth. Mary smiles.

Elizabeth said...

Devohn sounds very, very cool. This made me laugh and gave me chills all at once -- thanks for sharing it.

jess said...

No greater gift.

I love him.

Pure and simple.

I swear to Devohn.

Wanda said...

"And whatever you were doing before you received such a blessing doesn't really matter that much anymore after such a blessing."

Uh huh.

Kimberly said...

Sounds like the perfect day. My heart just skipped a beat reading what he told you--such a thoughtful boy. Love this.

Amber said...

Oh man. You lucky mom. I agree with Elizabeth-- it gave me chills.

Love.

:)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

A most lovely blessing indeed. Glad you enjoyed a beautiful Easter!

fullsoulahead.com said...

Rojo knows the secret of life. Your boy is joy personified and the only thing better than being blessed, is knowing it.

xo

Kim said...

Oh, I just love him. So much. And you! I feel blessed just knowing you.

hooray said...

Wow! I love HIM! And you!

I love being a student but I so miss blogging. :-)

Yay for Spring break this week!

Theresa said...

That's a beautiful story.

Drama Mama said...

Um. Devohn? I love that name. Is that directly from Rojo himself?

You can't can that. Brills.

Now I'm all smiling, reading, then I got to the part where he says he's having the best Easter, and how he'll pray for you and oh my God I start getting red in the face and really Carrie...could we love him anymore?

Jesus boy. Buddha baby. Honestly.

kario said...

That boy.

and his mother.

They fill me with light and love.

thank you.